Publicity, Discussion and Events
- FreeWebSearchDay Interview
- 2023-09-29 NLnet
- Marginalia Search receives FUTO Grant
- Marginalia [...] is currently on the HN front page and handling the traffic with one $5k commodity server
- 2023-04-19 🦤 Twitter @vboykis
- Marginalia: DIY search engine that focuses on non-commercial content
- 2023-04-18 Hacker News
- Marginalia Receives NLnet grant
- Marginalia's Index Reaches 100,000,000 Documents 🎊
- Google ei enää tideä
- 2022-10-19 Helsing Sanomat 🇫🇮
- Kritik an Googles Suche - Platzhirsch auf dem Nebenschauplatz
- 2022-08-18 Deutschlandfunk Kultur 🇩🇪
- Marginalia Goes Open Source
- 2022-05-28 Hacker News
- You Should Check Out the Indie Web 🎞️
- 2022-03-15 YouTube, You've Got Kat
- What Google Search Isn't Showing You
- 2022-03-10 The New Yorker 🎩
- Marginalia Search - Serendipity Engineering
- 2022-03-09 MetaFilter
- 🎂 First anniversary! 🎊
- A search engine that favors text-heavy sites and punishes modern web design
- 2021-09-16 Hacker News
- A Search Engine Designed To Surprise You
- 2021-09-16 Clive Thompson OneZero
This is an independent DIY search engine that focuses on non-commercial content, and attempts to show you sites you perhaps weren't aware of in favor of the sort of sites you probably already knew existed.
The software for this search engine is all custom-built, and all crawling and indexing is done in-house. The project is open source. Feel free to poke about in the source code or contribute to the development!
The search engine is currently serving about 93 queries/minute.
Consider supporting the project!
This search engine isn't particularly well equipped to answering queries posed like questions, instead try to imagine some text that might appear in the website you are looking for, and search for that.
☛ It is possible to search by website generator.
☛ New filters for forums and wikis are added.